Monday, September 1, 2008

Fear of Trailers!

In a previous post, on PHOBIAS I said that I am claustrophobic! I just discovered that I have other phobias. . . and the top on the list is "fear of trailers with containers". May be I should call it "trailercontainerphobia". I hope that makes some sense.

It does not matter who is doing the driving (hubby, me or a commercial driver), I get very jittery when my vehicle is directly beside a trailer container. This is because most times these containers are not properly secured to the trailer and any slight "shake" on a rough road (which is not uncommon here) could make the container fall! It is that bad.

I have heard stories of people been crushed to death by these containers. I have seen some containers lying on their sides on another smaller vehicle. Sometime ago, I heard a story about a woman who went shopping with her kids. When she got to the market, she parked her car and dashed out with her kids to do the shopping. When she returned, her car was buried under a container! Yes. Everyone was thankful that no life was lost. Thank God for that. Some people had not been so fortunate.

Some weeks ago I witnessed one container falling off a trailer! O! I was so shocked! When this happened, of course there was no movement. The traffic that built up immediately was great! When I narrated the incidence to Hubby later in the day, he told me how his friend escaped a similar accident some years back!

14 comments:

LG said...

@"trailercontainerphobia"
dear, u made me bit my tongue o, :):)

dearie, d thing tire mesef, there's still one(container) @ oshodi bustop,
it been lying there 4 more than a month now, dont kno why d relevant authorities haven't moved it *sigh*
just be careful on the road o,

geisha.song. said...

crazy men.
jus thinking about it is making me cringe in fear

aloted said...

nawa o...

May God continue to protect us against all accidents esp container or truck related!

rayo said...

omo i feel u abt d containers oh. u shld hear my mama screamin at her drivers whenit comes to that

Dee! said...

LG: How you dey? As for that blue container in oshodi. . . only God knows when it will be removed! May be until d thing cause another havoc!

GEISHA.SONG: Only God will save us from those drunken crazy drivers.

ALOTED: I say a BIG AMEN!

RAYO: I think I can imagine those screams 'cos I do same! Meanwhile what are you doing here?? Go and continue jacking jo!

AlooFar said...

I think I have this phobia too ;)

Hi

Dee! said...

ALOOFAR: I feel you my brother! Thanks for stopping by.

wellsbaba said...

lol....I find dis funny,neva heard of trailercontainerphobia...lol....anywais
i get ur drift...Im on d otherhand greatly fraid of heights! ma first tym here n im luvin it! concernin bolt I totally I agree he could have broken his own world record if he had not started jubilatin even b4 finish line! n dat was d mistake d jamaican team made,they were too full of themselve,they let their potential n victories get in their head....the 4x4 they lost when they couldnt change battons was bcos they had started fixin their nails thinkin they had already won so the fixed nails uneasyed the changin of d baton!succes is not a destination its a journey!

Rita said...

I thought it was only me that had this fear... If I am driving, I avoid the trailer rather than let my heart skip a beat...If I am not driving then I just remain silent...praying.

Buttercup said...

u've just instilled this fear in me now..

Dee! said...

WELLSBABA: Thanks for visiting. So you are afraid of heights! hahaha!

RITA: My sista, I feel you. But how many trailers are we going to avoid??

BUTTERCUP: No! I did not mean to instill the fear of trailers in you. Those things and their drivers are just nuts!

aloted said...

Sorry jare...I should have informed you i changed my url...

I wonder if there is a way to generally inform people about change of address...hmm

How u dey dear?

theicequeen said...

LOL! so i'm not alone in this?! thank God o! we should form support group or something, because i literally break out in a sweat whenever there is a container/trailer/tanker around me...hmm, you forgot to mention tankers..i keep having these graphic (daymares?) where they explode...God forbid bad thing!

lol..lurve your blog, first time here, Mz.Dee sorta linked you with the award thingy...most definetely going to blogroll!

Dee! said...

THEICEQUEEN: Whao! Please clear your mind of those "daymares". Lets keep praying that while we are moving . . . no such ugly incident will happen.

Thanks for visiting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails