Thursday, February 17, 2011

Agege Bread!

Agege bread needs no description as it is very popular especially in Lagos and its environs. I believe this bread originated from the Agege area of Lagos State. I remember when I used to travel by train to Jos those days, as soon as the train makes a brief stop at the Agege station, we (my friends and I) MUST buy some loaves. Back then, Agege bread was a master piece! The bread had various impressions on them, adding to the “beauty” LOL!
I love Agege bread . . . but I do not eat it as frequently as I would have ordinary loved to. This is because Hubby feels Agege bread is not prepared under proper hygienic conditions! See me see wahala o! Na today? Bread wey I don dey chop since even before I know am! As if to buttress his point he once showed me a lady cleaning Agege bread with a piece of cloth before packaging. Well that would not deter me o! For years, I have been eating this Agege bread and nothing do me 0! You see, those days, as a child, Agege bread was the loaf known to us then. Even when “oyinbo” sliced bread began to flood the market, Agege bread was the in thing for us (and I believe most people then).

I still remember once when an Uncle came visiting and gave me and my siblings some money, I told my mother that I’d like to eat Agege bread with “ewa agoin” (Togolese beans). The next weekend, I asked her to give me my money (50 kobo) so I could buy the bread and beans. . . LOL!

Agege bread vs. Sliced Bread, which do you prefer?
Related Posts with Thumbnails